BBC News have published an article online today advising people on ‘how to choose the perfect care home‘. We liked the article because it included a checklist from Age UK on what to ask potential residential or nursing homes before you or your family member moves in.
The list is useful for providers though, too. Very often we focus on complex issues and forget the basics. This checklist is great for bringing us back down to earth, and ensuring we have the fundamentals of care right:
- Can residents choose their daily routines?
- Are senior staff on duty at all times?
- What is the ratio of staff to residents?
- What is the annual turnover of staff?
- What dementia support is available?
- Do GPs visit the home?
- What is included in the fees?
- What meals are provided?